Fall Yardwaste Season
The 2021 fall yardwaste collection season will be the weeks of October 18 through November 27, 2021.
During this period of time yardwaste may be placed in paper yardwaste bags and set out alongside your carts for collection and will not require the yardwaste collection stickers. Material collected during these weeks will be collected separately and will be taken to Oma-Gro and composted.
Yardwaste may be placed in your black lid waste cart at anytime of the year. All material in the black lid cart will go to the landfill.
The Oma-Gro facility will accept from individuals, yardwaste hauled to them. There is no charge. See information below.
Note to those with Special Collection: Excess yardwaste placed in paper yardwaste bags and set out at your special collection location will be disposed with your garbage in the landfill. In order for your excess yardwaste to be composted at this time you must place the paper yardwaste bags out in the regular collection location as your neighbors do.
Most of the year your yardwaste should fit in your waste cart where it will share space with your weekly garbage. We recommend that you put it in the cart loose so you fit the most in. We also recommend that you put a bag of garbage in the cart first (yardwaste alone has a tendency to pack in tight and not fall out).
But what about times when you have more than will fit, like the spring and fall?
For six weeks each spring and six weeks each fall, the City is ready to take on that surge of yardwaste through a separate yardwaste collection contract. You can put your excess yardwaste in the paper yardwaste bags outside of your cart for collection. The paper yardwaste bags may weigh up to 40 pounds. For these 12 weeks each year that yardwaste, as much as you want, will be collected separately and composted!
What if I have excess yardwaste at other times of the year?
The City has a plan for that, too. You can purchase yardwaste stickers for your yard-waste paper bags or properly bundles brush and branches. They are $1.98 each, and every bag or bundle you put out must have its own sticker. Stickers have the year on them and are good for the year issued and the following year. Once again, there is no limit if all your bags are tagged! This tagged yardwaste will be collected with your carted waste. You will find tags at most retailers that sell yardwaste paper bags.
Yardwaste stickers are available for purchase and can be used immediately. If you want yardwaste picked up that does not fit in your waste cart you will need a yardwaste sticker for each brown bag. Please read the rules on the sticker for proper placement.
Oma-Gro will receive self-hauled yardwaste at no charge
The Oma-Gro facility located within the Papillion Creek Water Resource Recovery Plant, 15705 Harlan Lewis Road, Bellevue, is now available as a disposal location for yardwaste from Omaha residents with these requirements and limitations:
- Open weekdays, 7AM to 3PM. Closed on Saturdays, Sundays, and City of Omaha Holidays. Please allow enough time to load or unload your material. (These are the winter hours that are in effect until the growing season.)
- All yardwaste material must be equal to the material allowed for collection by the City of Omaha’s collection contractor. (no plastic bags, no stumps, no branches larger than 2 inches in diameter)
- Oma-Gro reserves the right to prevent anyone from unloading at the Oma-Gro facility.
- Customers must stop by the office for permission to unload.
Proper Yardwaste Preparation
- Special yardwaste paper bags weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Bundles of branches and brush, tied with string or natural twine. Bundles may weigh up to 30 pounds and must have an orange yard waste sticker attached to the bundle.
- Grass clippings and leaves.
- Garden waste such as fallen apples, rotted or excess vegetables and fruit.
- Branches may be up to 2 inches in diameter and 4 feet in length.
- Christmas trees when properly prepared, otherwise take Christmas trees to a Christmas tree drop-off site. For more information about Christmas tree drop-off sites, click here.
- Plastic bags used in yardwaste collection outside of your waste cart (yard waste may be placed in plastic bags if placed INSIDE your waste cart)
- No saw dust, lumber or treated lumber.
- Litter, trash or garbage.
- Whole bags of dirt or sod.
- Street sweeping sand, litter, or rocks.
- Cardboard boxes of yardwaste.
- Pet manure or kitty litter.
- Branches over 2 inches in diameter.
- Branches over 4 feet long.
- Plastic twine, nylon twine or wire used on brush.
- Rope of any kind.
- Unbundled brush.
- Christmas trees that have not been prepared for collection.
- Place your waste cart at your collection point by 6AM.
- Leave three feet of space between waste and recycling carts.
- Waste and recycling carts must be removed from the curb by 10AM the day after collections.
How to Prepare Other Items for Collection
BY THE NUMBERS…
Number of Households Collected Weekly: 146,237
Yardwaste Tons Collected: 279