Got a yard? We will take care of your waste.
We collect yard waste from all households year-round if it’s properly prepared. Don’t mix your yardwaste with your garbage. If you do, we won’t collect it.
New Limit to Yardwaste as of April 6, 2020
In planning for the potential impact of COVID-19, the City of Omaha and Waste Management have agreed to limit yardwaste collection to 4 cans/sacks/bundles per household. This limit in yardwaste collection will remain in effect until further notice. Yardwaste will be co-collected with garbage.
Proper Yardwaste Preparation
- Grass clippings and leaves.
- Garden waste such as fallen apples, rotted or excess vegetables and fruit.
- Trash cans up to 32 gallons and weighing up to 45 pounds, marked with a YW on both sides.
- Special yardwaste paper bags weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Bundles of branches and brush, tied with string or twine. Bundles may weigh up to 30 pounds.
- Branches may be up to 2 inches in diameter and 4 feet in length.
- Unlimited number of properly prepared marked cans, paper bags or brush bundles.
- Christmas trees when properly prepared, otherwise take Christmas trees to a Christmas tree drop-off site. For more information about Christmas tree drop-off sites, click here.
- Plastic bags used in yardwaste collection
- Mixtures of yardwaste and garbage.
- No saw dust, lumber or treated lumber.
- Litter, trash or garbage.
- Whole cans of dirt or sod.
- Street sweeping sand, litter, or rocks.
- Cardboard boxes of yardwaste.
- Pet manure or kitty litter.
- Branches over 2 inches in diameter.
- Branches over 4 feet long.
- Plastic twine, nylon twine or wire used on brush.
- Rope of any kind.
- Unbundled brush.
- Christmas trees that have not been prepared for collection.
- Place all materials at your collection point by 6AM.
- Leave a couple feet of space between recycling bin, garbage containers and yardwaste containers.
How to Prepare Other Items for Collection
BY THE NUMBERS…
Number of Households Collected Weekly: 146,078
Yardwaste Tons Collected: 704