Waste Collection Regulations
Let’s talk waste.
Did you know state and federal mandates limit the types of waste (remember: garbage + yardwaste = waste) you can include in your waste cart? We also have city ordinances that regulate how you prepare your waste for collection. The main things to remember are:
- Place all your carts at your collection point (it’s directly at the curb or roadway for most homes) before 6:00am on your collection day.
- Leave some space between your Waste cart, and your recycle cart.
- Please remove your cart from the curb by 10:00am the next morning.
Need more information? The two sections of the Omaha Municipal Code that relate to solid waste are available as Acrobat documents through the following two links Chapter 33, ARTICLE II, Division 1, Section 33, Items 21-30 and Chapter 33, ARTICLE II, Division 2, Section 33, Items 41-49.
Proper Waste Preparation
- Your cart must be at your collection point before 6AM.
- The collection point the collection point for most homes this is directly at the curb or roadway.
- Place carts three feet apart from each other and from other objects (like trees, mailboxes, lamp posts and parked cars).
- If your collection is missed, call 402‒444‒5238 after 7PM on your collection day.
- Your cart must be removed from the curb by 10AM the day after collection.
- Items outside your cart
- Items sticking out of your cart
- Carts over the 355-pound weight limit of the 96-gallon cart
And DON’T put any of the following in your cart:
- Rocks, dirt or concrete
- Dead animals
- Liquids of any type
- Loose pet waste or loose cat litter
- Tires, engines or other large auto parts
- Bulky items (chairs, stoves, etc.)
- Lawn chemicals
- Motor oil and automotive batteries
- Place all materials at your collection point before 6AM.
- Leave three feet of space between your waste and recycling carts.
- Waste and recycling carts must be removed from the curb by 10AM the day after collection.
How to Prepare Other Items for Collection
Remember: Place your cart directly at the curb or roadway for most homes before 6:00am on your collection day.
BY THE NUMBERS…
Recycled Tons Collected: 16,025
Garbage Tons Collected: 145,329
Yardwaste Tons Collected: 704
We can do better!
Recycle more than you throw away in 2020!