Read carefully. Incorporated in this page are program and pricing changes enacted on April 20, 2021.
The City of Omaha bulky material disposal program is offered to all residents within the city limits of Omaha. The City has a contract with River City Recycling to receive bulky waste at subsidized prices. Residents living outside of Omaha will pay the full cost of disposal. Tires and yardwaste are not eligible for the subsidized pricing. There is a maximum of four subsidized loads per calendar year. State and local law requires that all loads must be covered with a tarp.
Where is River City Recycling & Transfer Station?
They are located at 6404 South 60th Street (just north of Harrison Street on 60th Street). Phone number is 402-731-0414. They are open:
Monday-Friday 8AM-4:30PM (Spring, Summer, Fall)
Saturday 7AM-3:00PM (Spring, Summer, Fall)
Monday-Friday 8AM-4:30PM (Winter)
Saturday 8AM-NOON (Winter)
They Will Accept
- Auto parts
- Swing sets
- Bicycles and tricycles
- Countertop appliances
- Empty cans, pails and buckets
Accepted, But NOT Subsidized
- Household Garbage
- Tires (there is a fee for tires)
- Full size appliances (white goods, washer, dryer, water heater, microwave, stove, etc) (there is a fee for all appliances)
Visit search.earth911.com or cleanup.wasteline.org for alternatives.
- Tree and bush branches
Visit www.omagro.com for an alternative for yardwaste and brush
They Will NOT Accept
- Hazardous Waste including:
Auto fluids (gas, oil, grease, anti freeze)
Visit www.underthesink.org for disposal.
- Dead animals
- Fecal material
- Animal bedding
- Railroad ties — The Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality has published this guide for disposal. For the guide, click here. Contact the NDEQ for additional information at (877) 253-2603.
This is not a complete list, but indicates the types of items to be included in each list. If the material you have is not listed, please call 402-731-0414.
- You must be a resident within the city limits of Omaha.
- Bring two items from the proof of Omaha Residency list below.
- When you arrive at River City Recycling and Transfer Station, you MUST ask to participate in the “city’s cost share program” or simply “city program.” Refunds will not be given if you have already dumped.
Proof of Omaha Residency
Two from this list (only one from each category)
- Vehicle registration
- State Issued ID (driver’s license, state ID card, CHP permit, military ID)
- OPPD bill
- MUD bill
- Names must match
- Addresses must match
- Address must be a street address (no PO Box)
- ID must be current (not expired)
- Bill must be recent
- Before proceeding to River City Recycling and Transfer Station, confirm that your address qualifies by using the look up service accessible by Clicking Here.
Fees & Limitations
- Each household may dump up to 4 times each calendar year.
- A one time $15.00 administrative fee is collected at the first visit each calendar year, and purchases 4 dump vouchers.
- Lost vouchers will not be replaced.
- Additional fees may be collected based on the size of vehicle or load.
- Regular size car load is typically one voucher and no additional fee (loads less than 2 cubic yards).
- Pick up trucks, vans, or trailers are typically two vouchers and no additional fee (loads less than 5 cubic yards).
- Excessively heavy loads (in excess of 1,500 pounds) may be assessed the current scale rate.
- Freon and non Freon containing appliances are no longer part of the bulky program. Visit search.earth911.com or cleanup.wasteline.org for alternatives.
- River City staff may refuse any items and any individuals, such as non-Omaha residents or commercial haulers.
BY THE NUMBERS…
For 2021, Did You Know?
840 households used bulky disposal over 2,229 times!
City’s cost for subsidy: $28,977