The City of Omaha bulky material disposal program is offered to all residents within the city limits of Omaha. The City has a contract with River City Recycling to receive bulky waste at subsidized prices. Residents living outside of Omaha will pay the full cost of disposal. Tires and yardwaste are not eligible for the subsidized pricing. There is a maximum of four subsidized loads per calender year. State and local law requires that all loads must be covered with a tarp.
Where is River City Recycling & Transfer Station?
They are located at 6404 South 60th Street (just north of Harrison Street on 60th Street. Phone number is 402-731-0414. They are open:
Monday-Friday 8AM-4:30PM (Spring, Summer, Fall)
Saturday 7AM-3:00PM (Spring, Summer, Fall)
Monday-Friday 8AM-4:30PM (Winter)
Saturday 8AM-NOON (Winter)
They Will Accept
- Auto parts
- Appliances (there is an additional fee if the appliance contains freon)
- Swing sets
- Bicycles and tricycles
- Empty cans, pails and buckets
Accepted, But NOT Subsidized
- Tires (there is a fee for tires)
- Tree and bush branches
They Will NOT Accept
- Household Garbage
- Hazardous Waste including:
Auto fluids (gas, oil, grease, anti freeze)
Visit www.underthesink.org for disposal.
- Dead animals
- Fecal material
- Animal bedding
- Railroad ties — The Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality has published this guide for disposal. For the guide, click here. Contact the NDEQ for additional information at (877) 253-2603.
This is not a complete list, but indicates the types of items to be included in each list. If the material you have is not listed, please call 402-731-0414.
- You must be a resident within the city limits of Omaha.
- Bring two items that show your street address.
- When you arrive at River City Recycling and Transfer Station, you MUST ask to participate in the city’s cost share program.
Proof Of Omaha Residency
- Vehicle registration
- Driver’s license
- State Issued ID
- Residential Utility Bill (gas, water, electricity, telephone)
- Before proceeding to River City Recycling and Transfer Station, confirm that your address qualifies by using the look up service accessible by Clicking Here. At River City Recycling and Transfer Station you will need to provide proof of residency that shows your street address not a Post Office Box by any two of these means where the addresses of the two items match.
Fees & Limitations
- Each household may dump up to 4 times each calendar year.
- A one time $10.00 administrative fee is collected at the first visit each calendar year, and purchases 4 dump vouchers.
- Lost vouchers will not be replaced.
- Additional fees may be collected based on the size of vehicle or load.
- Regular size car load is typically one voucher and no additional fee (loads less than 2 cubic yards).
- Pick up trucks, vans or trailers are typically two vouchers and no additional fee (loads less than 5 cubic yards).
- Over size loads may require an additional fee of $6.00 per cubic yard.
- Excessively heavy loads (in excess of 1,750 pounds) may be required to pay $15.00 per 1,000 pounds over 1,750 pounds.
- Freon containing appliances will be charged an additional $10.00 each.
- River City staff may refuse any items and any individuals, such as non-Omaha residents or commercial haulers.
BY THE NUMBERS…
Did You Know?
Households that used bulky disposal: 3,563
City’s cost for subsidy: $46,319