The Fall Cleanup program is a joint effort between the City of Omaha, Keep Omaha Beautiful, and over 100 neighborhood associations. The free event provides Omaha residents with the opportunity to recycle or dispose of large/bulky items that are not accepted through curbside trash/recycling services (such as old furniture, appliances, tires, and mattresses). Residents do not have to be a member of a neighborhood association to participate.
The 2019 Fall Cleanup takes place on four Saturdays, running from October 19 through November 23, 2019. Each Saturday, multiple neighborhoods in a specific section of the city will accept items for disposal and recycling between 9:00AM – 2:00PM.
A map of locations and dates for the 2019 Omaha Fall Cleanup is available by clicking here. You may also call the Omaha Fall Cleanup Hotline at 402-444-4636 for more information.
Examples of Accepted/Common Items (not a comprehensive list)
- Furniture (couches, chairs, mattresses, etc.)
- Auto parts
- Tires without rims (no tractor or bike tires) (at designated locations)
- Lead-acid batteries (at designated locations)
- Appliances (at designated locations)
- Swing sets
- Bicycles and tricycle
- Empty cans, pails, and buckets
- Railroad Ties must be cut into 1 foot pieces for disposal (no site will accept full-size railroad ties) [For regulatory information, click here]
- Tree limbs and brush (at designated locations)
Prohibited Items (not a comprehensive list)
- Rocks and concrete
- Household garbage (putrescible waste) – put out with your normal trash collection.
- Dead animals, manure, and animal bedding
- Full-size railroad ties – The Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality (NDEQ) has published a guide for disposal. To view the guide, click here. Contact the NDEQ for additional information at (877) 253-2603.
- Propane tanks and other pressurized cylinders
- Household Hazardous waste including, but not limited to auto fluids, paint, solvents, and lawn chemicals. Take to UnderTheSink, 4001 South 120th Street. On Cleanup Saturdays UnderTheSink is open from 9am to 4pm and does not require an appointment.
- Dates of all 2019 Fall Cleanup events are as follows: October 19, November 9, November 16 and November 23.
- Appliances, tires, and lead-acid batteries are considered items that require “special handling” so they are not collected at all Fall Cleanup sites. However, each Saturday, there will be a designated site that will accept these “special” items. Call the hotline or check the map on the website for locations of these designated sites.
- The Fall Cleanup program also offers the opportunity to dispose of large tree limbs and brush that would be difficult to dispose of using the City’s weekly yardwaste collection. Each Saturday limbs and brush will be accepted at the City of Omaha Sewer Maintenance Facility, 6880 Q Street, between the hours of 9am and 2pm.
- Some neighborhood associations will be providing opportunities for recycling (e.g., metals and electronics) as well as opportunities to donate items to local charities for reuse (e.g., furniture, bicycles, and building materials that are in good condition).
- Omaha residents do not have to be a member of a given neighborhood association to participate. They can take advantage of any dates or locations during the Fall Cleanup time frame. Please note that residents are responsible for transporting and unloading their own items at a Fall Cleanup site.
- For additional questions or concerns, e-mail CleanUpOmaha@cityofomaha.org.